Hello everyone, thank you for visiting my website! Did you already try the recipe I introduced in the last article: tuna and tofu croquette? Today I will introduce you Japanese potato salad. In fact it has not been so long since I found out that Japanese potato salad was special, because I thought potato salad was Dutch. My brother in law told me Japanese potato salad was very different to the Dutch one.
Maybe the biggest difference is that Japanese potato salad has some vegetables inside. It does mean a lot to Japanese people. First, that means potato salad can be a nutritious food with more ingredients. Japanese mom & dad (whoever make daily meal in their family) often have to deal with this problem: how they can make their children eat more vegetables every day. Potato salad is very popular among children so parents know that children eat more vegetables when they put them into potato salad! Second, having some ingredients makes potato salad colorful. Japanese people cares so much about how their food looks. Beautiful meal can be a great topic of conversation by itself, and we can have more lively conversations over the meal.
It is said that Japan is not a very kind country for vegetarian people. I think that is true. Not so many Japanese chef learned recipes or techniques for vegetarian menu. We have not had so many vegetarians in our history. Potato salad is one of the few Japanese foods vegetarian people can enjoy. (When you order potato salad in Japanese restaurant you should make sure though.) Potato salad is also good for bento too. You can make a lot in one batch and use it the next morning. I hope today’s recipe will help more people to have a wonderful weekend! Xx
JAPANESE POTATO SALAD
- Potato medium size 5pc
- Cucumber 10cm
- Eggs 2
- Red peppers 1/2
- Mayonnaise 3-5 tablespoons
- Salt 1 teaspoon
- Black pepper 1 teaspoon
- (it is also good: ham, onion, broccoli, prawns…etc)
[How to make it]
- Boil the whole potatoes and eggs in salted water. You do not have to remove potatoes’ skin. Just wash them well before you start to cook.
- Put thin-sliced cucumber, red pepper, (onion) and salt into the bowl. Leave it about for 5~10 minutes and make sure a lot of water comes out of cucumber.
- Pour enough water into the bowl and wash the cucumber and red pepper (onion) lightly. Squeeze them with your hands to remove all the moisture inside them.
- Remove the potatoes’ skin. Mash the potatoes and eggs in the bowl. Put black pepper, cucumber, red pepper, and mix.
- Put 3 spoons of mayonnaise into the bowl and mix well. Taste it, then add seasoning carefully.
- Leave the salad in fridge for 30 minutes.
These ingredients are always in your house. You can try it today, I’m sure! Have a nice weekend with new recipe! xx