Hello everyone, welcome to Japanese Home Recipes which helps you to enjoy Japanese style home cooking in the UK. Do you think Japanese foods are expensive? Special? Impossible to make with what you have in your fridge? Do not be silly! Of course Japanese people do not eat Sushi or Ramen every day! Here you can share my recipe definitely you can try in the UK (I am sure you can try in the most of other countries!).
Thank you Jacob for requesting me to introduce the katsu recipe. I do not think Japanese people make katsu in a special way to you, especially if you live in the UK. When my English husband makes fish and chips, he uses flour and water and eggs to make batter of fish. I am sure some people make the batter in different way, like they might use breadcrumbs too. In Japan, we use flour, water, and eggs for tempura, and flour, eggs and breadcrumbs for katsu. Here is the recipe.
[Ingredients] (2 people)
- Pork or beef (pork loin, shoulder roast, thigh, tenderloin)/ Chicken (thigh, breast)
- Egg 1
[How to make it]
- To make it soft, cover the pork with grated onion for a few hours. This process is not necessary if you do not have enough time.
- Prepare 3 bowls for flour, an egg and breadcrumbs. Beat the eggs in the bowl. If it is too sticky then you can add some water.
- Remove the onion with kitchen towel rub the pork with a pinch of salt..
- Put the pork into the flour bowl. Make sure the pork is well covered with flour.
- Put the pork into the egg bowl. Make sure the pork is well covered with egg.
- Put the pork into the breadcrumbs bowl. Make sure the pork is well covered with breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil. Drop a piece of breadcrumbs, then you can start to fry the pork deeply if the breadcrumb is being fried.
- Make sure the temperature is not too high. If the surface becomes dark in a few minutes, then it is too high. The pork should be cooked for about 5 minutes.
If you are interested in sauce for katsu you can check Miso Katsu sauce.
With the same process, you make vegetable or seafood katsu too. Although katsu can be a great main by itself, there are also some Japanese menu to use katsu. Katsudon, for example, has katsu on rice with eggs and onion. Some people love to put katsu on curry. I hope this recipe will help you to try more various styles of food!