I got fresh salmon from the market this week! I missed sushi quality salmon sooo much! Of course I made makizushi after that. Maybe it is called maki here? Maki means “rolled”. Makizushi is more common menu for home cooking. What you imagine, when it comes to sushi, is called nigari in Japan, which means “gripped”. Nigiri looks very simple and needs more techniques to make and at least Japanese people think this is beyond the level of home cooking. There are some more kinds of sushi but there is one common thing to all … vinegar rice! Since I came here I have tried so many sushi, and i noticed that when the sushi was disappointing often it had a problem with vinegar rice.
Even to Japanese people vinegar rice is really important and difficult to make. Making sushi for their guests is a little risky because recipes of vinegar rice are different by families or areas. In the past, Osaka (in a middle part of Japan) was biggest business town and people live close to Osaka can easily get fresh fish. In these area, it is said that people did not use so much vinegar or salt. On the other hand, people live far from Osaka can’t have fresh fish so often because it took a few days to send fish to these area from Osaka. So in these area, people needed to use a lot of vinegar or salt to remove fishy smell.
My home town was closer to Osaka so I prefer mild vinegar rice. But in Tokyo, you can traditional sushi with very strong vinegar taste (“edomae-sushi”). Today’s my recipe is mild vinegar taste. Japanese people use rice vinegar for sushi, but I know not so many people has one here. If you already have one please use it, but if you do not have rice vinegar, you can use white wine vinegar, normal mild vinegar, or almost anything except balsamic vinegar. Balsamic vinegar is too strong for sushi. After you read this, maybe you will be very surprised that you can actually make sushi tonight!
Sushi Rice (Vinegar Rice)
- Rice 1 glass
- Vinegar 25ml
- Salt 1/2 teaspoon
- Sugar 1 tablespoon
[How to make it]
- Put washed rice into a pan and pour 1.2 glasses of water. Leave the rice into the water for at least 30 minutes.
- Cook the rice with strong heat until the water boils. After it boils turn the heat down and put a lid on the pan.
- After the bubbles disappear on the surface turn off the cooker and leave it for 10 minutes.
- Put vinegar, salt and sugar into a different pan and turn off the cooker when it starts to boil.
- Pour 4 into 3 and mix well. Remember to finish this process while the rice is hot.
- You can make your favourite sushi!
I hope all of you have a nice weekend!