Hello! I made Nikomi Hamburg (Japanese:煮込みハンバーグ) last night.
Nikomi means being cooked in soup, sauce or stock. Nikomi hamburg(er steak) is hamburger steak cooked in sauce. This is very popular menu in Japan too. With my hamburg you can not stop eating rice! XD
Because meat, especially beef was really luxurious item in Japan after WW2, people mixed cheap pork mince and beef mince. Even now many Japanese people still make hamburg steak with both pork and beef. It is said that ideal patty should consist of 30% of pork and 70% of beef. I often put mayonnaise into patty so that it would be very juicy.
My English husband liked it a lot! So I am sure you will like my recipe too!xx
[Ingredients] 4 patty
- Beef mince 280g
- Pork mince 120g
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of breadcrum
- 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoons of black pepper
- A bit of salt
- Butter 5g
- Chopped tomato can 200g
- 4-7 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- Red wine 50g
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 2-3 tablespoons of flour
- Mushrooms(small) 7-10
- Onion 1/2
- A bit of spring onion
[How to make it]
- Make patty. Mix all the ingredients into the bowl. Cook the patty on the hot frying pan. You do not have to cook well. Make sure the surface becomes crispy.
- Finely chop onion and mushrooms.
- Put butter into a sauce pan and cook onion and mushrooms.
- Add flour into the sauce pan. When it becomes less powdery, add tomato can, Worcestershire sauce, red wine and honey. Make heat of cooker low.
- When the sauce changes its color and becomes more sticky, make sure how it tastes. If you can feel red wine strongly leave it 5 more minutes.You can add some more salt if you want to but taste of sauce will be more balanced after you put patty into the pan so you do not have to add seasoning yet.
- Put patty from 1. into the sauce pan. Keep cooking for 10 minutes with low heat.
- Taste the sauce once again and add more seasoning if you need.
- Serve with some finely chopped spring onion on the top.
I made Hawaiian food Loco moco for my husband bento.
Loco moco often has a fried egg on the top but I ran out of eggs this morning! But I am sure it is still super tasty! When you try this do not forget fried egg on the top!