It is getting warmer and warmer these days. This is a good timing to start to swift our winter foods to spring/summer foods! (Maybe it is still too early!haha) Today’s recipe is ‘hiyashi chuka’, which has some summer vegetables and meat on cold ramen noodles. ‘Hiyashi’ means cold, and ‘chuka’ means Chinese food. Maybe many people think ramen is Japanese food but its origin was from China. So some restaurants still call ramen ‘chuka men’ which means Chinese noodles. Athough when it comes to cold ramen, 100% of Japanese people call it ‘hiyashi chuka’, not ‘hiyashi ramen’.
Hiyashi chuka should be served with sauce (more like dressing), and there are 2 popular sauce, ‘sesame’ sauce or ‘soy sauce’ sauce. Today I will introduce soy sauce sauce because it is simple and easy.
HIyashi chuka also has meat, but of course if you are vegetarian you can ignore it. Instead, you can make ‘kinshi tamago (thinly shredded egg)’ which is also a famous topping! Please have fun!
[Ingredient] 2 serving
- Ramen noodles
- Beef tomato
- pork/ chicken breast/ ham
- Shichimi (Japanese hot spice) *extra seasoning
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1.5 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon of vinegar
Any vinegar is fine except balsamic vinegar. If you have rice vinegar, please use that one.
- Cook ramen noodles in boiling water. And after as soon as ramen is done, wash the noodles with cold water, then the noodle will be stronger and chewy.
- Slice vegetables. You can also shred cucumber (this is Japanese style!).
- In the same hot water, cook the pork. It is up to you to cut pork before or after you cook it. When it comes to chicken breast, it is better to use your hand to break it into small pieces after you cook it. If you use ham, you do not have to cook it.
- Put the toppings on the noodles and make it look nice.
- Mix all the ingredients for sauce in a small bowl, and pour the sauce on hiyashi chuka.
- If you would like, you can add dome shichimi on the top. Shichimi adds wonderful flavors to your food.
- Before you eat, mix very well.