Tamago-yaki is a famous bento food. Tamago-yaki is, of course, tasty when it is hot but it is still good when it is cold. It takes only 5 minutes to make so it will never bother you in early morning.
Usually, Japanese people use a square pan to make tamago-yaki, but you can use a small frying pan instead. Maybe you feel difficult at first, you can make it after you practice several times. If it’s too difficult, please try to use 3 or 4 eggs. The layers will be thick so you can easily roll the eggs.
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoon of sugar
- a teaspoon of soya sauce
- 1 teaspoon mirin
- a pinch of salt
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Pour 1 tablespoon oil into a pan.
- When the pan becomes hot remove the oil with kitchen paper.
- Pour 1/3 of eggs into the pan.
- Stir fry eggs a little bit as you make scrambled eggs.
- When the eggs start to be cooked, start to rolled egg from the edge.
- Move the eggs to the start point to roll.
- Repeat from 4-7 two more times.
- Turn off the cookers. But leave tamago-yaki on the pan for a few minutes, then eggs will be cooked completely.
I use chopsticks when I make tamago-yaki, but equipments are not important. Even if you break the surface, do not worry because you can easily fix it. Just cook the surface well the everything will be okay!
You can also enjoy to put something inside tamago-yaki. For example, finely chopped spring onion, shiitake mushrooms, boiled spinach or cooked eel.