Have you heard of word, Kimchi? Kimchi is spicy Korean pickle which is now world famous. In Japan, these days the idea of adding Kimchi into Nabe has been featured among young people. Actually, this is my husband’s favourite ingredients for Nabe. If you are keen on trying a different flavour, try my Soya milk nabe(hot pot) (available as (v) too) , which had much more mild flavour than Kimchi nabe.
- 4-5 leaves of Chinese cabbage, roughly cut
- 25g of mushrooms
- 20g of leeks, thickly sliced
- 6-8 pieces of cod cheeks
- 100-150g of tofu
- 100g of white radish, sliced
- Ramen noodles (as much as you want)
- A bit of shichimi spice (if you need, as a topping)
- A pinch of chipped spring onion (if you need, as a topping)
Kimchi nabe soup
- 3-5g of kombu
- 500g of cold water
- 200g of Kimch
- 2 tbs of soya sauce
- 1 tbs of sake
- 1 tbs of mirin
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- Make Kimchi nabe soup. Leave kombu in cold water as long as you can. In this process, you can make lovely kombu stock. If you do not have enough time, make sure you put kombu before you start to heat the cold water. Boil the stock in a sauce pan for 5 minutes. Add soya sauce, sake and mirin.
- Place Chinese cabbage, mushrooms, leeks, cod cheeks, white radish, tofu and Kimchi in another sauce pan. Pour Kimch nabe soup in the sauce pan with vegetables. Bubble it with lid on top until they are all cooked.
- Drop sesame oil, spring onion(if you want) and shichimi(if you want) just before serve. Make sure you do not finish soup.
- Once vegetables in nabe has been finished, start to cook ramen noodles in boiling water for 1 minutes. Add the noodles into the Kimch nabe. Add more vegetables or seasonings if you need. Serve nabe ramen once again.
Nabe is an absolutely fantastic option for party menu as well. Why don’t you trying Kimchi nabe with your family or friends this weekend? And if you do, please share your kimchi nabe with #jhomerecipes or #japanesehomerecipes to share our passion!
Thank you for reading my article today too! I hope you all have a lovely weekend!x