Thank you all of you for giving me a lot of likes for my bento today. The main of this bento was Amakara chicken wings and mooli.
View this post on Instagram
Amakara chicken and mooli bento 🍱 おはようございます🌞今日のお弁当は、大根と手羽先の甘辛煮、卵焼き、そして大根の甘酢漬けです🍱めっちゃくちゃ茶色いけど笑、買い出し前日のお弁当なのでご容赦を😂夫に、『色がアレだから、梅の混ぜ込みご飯にしようか？』と聞きましたら、『いや、今日のメニューは白ご飯と食べたい‼︎』といわれました。わかってらっしゃる😆 #国際結婚 #英国在住 #海外生活 #お弁当 #愛妻弁当 #自分弁当 #曲げわっぱ #手羽先 #大根 #甘辛煮 #mooli #bentobox #bento #magewappa #lunchbox #lunch #healthylifestyle #healthy #healthyfood #japanese #japanesefood #イギリス #イングランド #甘酢漬け #chickenwings #お昼ごはん
Amakara is a Japanese word which means “sweet and salty”, although the taste is not that simple. When Japanese people use this word, they can imagine how it is going to taste because Amakara dish needs soya sauce and mirin (a kind of alcohol to make dish sweeter and shiny). If you do not have mirin, use mix of a shot of sweet white wine and a drop of honey.
Mooli is a huge white radish which is very common in Japan. If you can not find mooli st the nearest supermarket from where you live, just use turnip. As long as you have all seasoning this dish costs only a few pounds. Being healthy, easy and economical, I highly recommend you to give it a go!
[Ingredients] for 1 serving
- 2-3 chicken wings
- 2-3 slices/ pieces of mooli/ turnip
- a tbs of plain flour
- a tbs of sugar
- a tbs of sake/ white wine
- 1.5 tbs of soya sauce
- 1.5 tbs of mirin or mix of white wine and honey
- a teaspoon of vinegar
- a drop of sesame oil
- a pinch of sesame seeds
- 100g of water or vegetable/chicken stock.
[The night before prep] 5 min
- Defrost chicken wings of they are frozen
- Cut mooli/ turnip into bite-sized pieces and soak them in water in a tub.
- Mix sugar, sake, soya sauce, mirin, vinegar and sesame oil in a small tub.
[In the morning] 12 min
- Toss chicken wings into plain flour in a bowl. Make sure chicken wings are covered with the flour.
- Pour vegetable oil into the frying pan and warm the frying pan up.
- Fry chicken wings and mooli/turnip until the surface becomes crispy.
- Pour the water/stock and mixed seasoning into the frying pan.
- Turn off the cooker when all the moisture has gone and the outside of chicken wings and mooli become shiny and sticky.
- Drizzle a pinch of sesame seeds.