First let me apologise @dosirakbento. I accidentally deleted your comment on Bento of last week. I left reply on the article, please check, thank you.
Today’s recipe is Tonpei-yaki. This is Japanese omelette which has fried cabbage and pork inside, and is served with okonomiyaki sauce on the top. It depends on persons, but usually people put some topping as we do for okonomiyaki. This is very light meal and a popular food which is sold in a market. It is good when you are a bit hungry but do not want very big meal. Especially, in the late night, I often make it without pork, so that it will not be heavy.
Tonpei-yaki is also good for bento food. My husband really likes tonpei-yaki. If you like okonomiyaki I am sure you will like it too! Please try!!
[Ingredients] 1 servings
- White cabbage 1/8
- Pork 50g (You can omit this)
- Eggs 2
- A bit of salt
- A bit of black pepper
- Okonomiyaki sauce
- Topping (nori powder, Fish flake, mayonnaise etc)
If you are a vegetarian, you can omit pork or toppings. You can still enjoy vegetarian version.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil into a hot frying pan. Stir fry thinly chopped cabbage and about 5mm sliced pork. Add some salt and black pepper.
- Put cabbage and pork aside.
- Break the eggs into the hot pan. When the eggs become half cooked, put the fillings of 2. on the middle of egg.
- Fold the egg in the middle and leave it for a minute on the pan after you turn off the cooker.
- Cut your tonpei-yaki into 4-5 pieces.
- Served tonpeiyaki on the flat plate with okonomiyaki sauce and topping on the top.
Teppanyaki is one of the growing Japanese food culture all of the world.
Kansai style okonomiyki
Teppankai is the style of foods cooked on a teppan(iron boad).
Okononiyaki is one of the typical teppanyaki foods. (If you interested in okonomiyaki recipes please visit Okonomiyaki(Kansai style) and Okonomiyaki sauce.) Now, I am writing the recipe of Hiroshima style okonomiyaki. I hope I can post soon.
Garlic Butter rice is served in these teppanyaki style restaurants as shime (the last menu of the course). Maybe the main reason of this is that Japanese people do not drink alcohol with rice. And some restaurant made garlic butter rice very simply, like all the ingredients are rice, buter, garlic and some seasoning. They do not need many ingredients because they made it on the same iron board where they just make wagyu beaf steak or some other grilled vegetables. So the rice has a lot of umami(flavor) from the beef and vegetables.
I do not have such a big iron board in my house so I used small pieces of beef to add more flavor in a frying pan. I you have an electric hotplate you can make it like restaurants! Let’s try!xx
garlic butter rice
[Ingredients] 2 servings
- Beef 50-100g
- King oyster mushroom 1
- Garlic 4-6 pcs
- Leek 5cm
- A bit of red chili
- 2 bowls of rice (A glass of rice before it is cooked)
- Butter 10g
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoons of black pepper
- Cook rice beforehand.
- Pour olive oil into a hot frying pan and stir fry finely chopped garlic.
- When the garlic turns into deep brown(almost burnt), add finely chopped chili, leek and king oyster mushrooms.
- Remove 2. into a big bowl. Do not wash the pan. we are going to use this pan to cook rice and beef.
- Put the butter into the pan. When it is melt, add beef chopped into small pieces.
- When the beef was cooked, add rice.
- When the rice was coated with butter, add ingredients you removed into bowl in 4.
- When they are all mixed well, add sesame oil, salt, soy sauce and black pepper.
- Serve it with some fresh leaves.
This is not very healthy food but sometimes it is okay!
On 31th December, Japanese people have soba noodles in midnight. The meaning of this habit is that we cut a series of bad luck of the year off so that bad luck will not last to the next year.
In the past people stick on soba noodles but these days because of the allergic problems, more people eat different noodles like udon, ramen or somen etc.
I made Kimch nabe(hot pot) with harusame(Chinese bean noodles).
Bean noodles are very good with Asian foods. Also it is famous as a diet friendly ingredient. I hope I cut bad luck of last year off and will have a happy year!
Is their any cultural habits around new year in your region?
Are you struggling from making good fish curry?
Here is a nice recipe for you!xx
[Ingredients] 2 servings
- A half fillet of mackerel
- Onion 1-2
- Garlic 2pc
- About the same amount of ginger
- Red pepper 1
- Butter 10g
- A tablespoons of white vinegar
- A tablespoon of cocoa
- A pinch of salt
- A can of chopped tomatoes 150-200g
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- A bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon of cardamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon of garam masala
- Pour 2 tablespoons of oil into a heated pan.
- Add chopped onion into the pan and stir fry them until they become soft.
- Add salt, finely chopped garlic and ginger into the pan.
- After garlic smells good, add roughly chopped red pepper and white vinegar.
- Add all the spices, cocoa and a half glass of water.
- Saute mackerel fillet with 5g butter in a different pan. When the surface became crispy, break fillet into small pieces.
- Add a can of chopped tomatoes.
- Cook curry 30 minutes-an hour. If the curry becomes too dry, add a half glass of water again.
- Add 5g butter and mix well. Make sure the butter is melted.
- Serve with naan or rice.
In our Christmas party we made duck roast. Whenever we make roast, I make ramen soup with bones left the next day. Paitan means white hot soup from chicken. Ramen soup is not actually very complicated to make.
Put a whole duck bone and vegetables(carrots, leeks, garlic and ginger etc) into 1000ml of water. Especially with chicken or duck bones, when you keep cooking the stock for more than 3-4 hours, the stock gradually becomes white.This is the sign of good stock of ramen soup.
2. Add seasoning
You can make nice simple ramen soup with sesame oil, salt, black pepper, soy sauce and sake. But… then I think you will notice how much salt you need. That’s because Japanese people think ramen is not healthy food.
Anyway, the next day’s bento. The inside of the bottle was remen soup. My husband was really happy to have ramen on his birthday lunch at work.
Our Christmas Home Party with friends were really fun.
Because I have never experienced English Christmas, my English husband made all the main course(I did not want to screw it up!). It was a really interesting experience.
Instead, I prepared starters and mulled wine. It went really well!
I made Japanese potato salad too! All the English guests liked the sesame dressing too!
But what made the girls so happy was…my mulled wine. I used slow cooker to keep it warm during the party! This is a really good tip.
Before I told you that I have started to have big Japanese breakfast these days. Because of this I also started to make asazuke pickles more often.
Pickles are essential foods to Japanese set meals. When you go to Japanese restaurants I am sure you will have Japanese pickles in your set menu. There are some kinds of Japanese pickles and each restaurant often serves their own homemade pickles. The picture is a Japanese set menu from a very traditional Japanese restaurant, Hanagokoro I used to work for in Hiroshima. Can you find a tiny pickles bowl next to the rice bowl?
Pickles can not be main in a big set menu but they are very important to Japanese people. Some people love to have them with rice, and others loves to have them with tea after they finish the meal like dessert. In fact Japanese small set menu is very simple; rice, miso soup and pickles. This perfect combination can satisfy all the Japanese people!!
If you try to make Japanese set meal, I think you should also try my asazuke pickles recipe. Asazuke pickles are very easy and simple to make but make your meal even better!
- Cucmber 1
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 2 pieces of cut dried konbu seaweed
- a bit of dried red chilli
[How to make it]
- Peal the cucumber skin and make 3 lines.
- Chop the cucumber 1-1.5cm thick.
- Cut konbu 0.5cm thick with kitchen scissors.
- Put the cucumber, salt, konbu and chilli into a plastic bag and shake it well.
- Leave it for 24 hours.
- Before you serve the pickles you should wash the surface with water for a second, because it might be too salty.
By the way, this was my breakfast of yesterday morning. I could not stop having rice with my pickles!
If you have any questions, you can ask me here or on instagram, facebook and twitter. I hope you can like Japanese foods more with my asazuke pickles!xx
I started to have Japanese breakfast again these days. In Japan, people think breakfast is very important to start your day. Before we get married, my husband were used to have nothing in the morning and he said Japanese breakfast was too big for him.
I love big Japanese breakfast, because it gives me a lot of energy for a day! I have been thinking of the way my husband also can enjoy breakfast and try many styles. and these days my husband started to like medium size Japanese breakfast.
Japanese breakfast should have miso soup, rice, and some more side dishes. The most common main is grilled salmon. Grilled salmon are also served with shredded cabbage. But salmon is a little expensive in the UK so I often use mackerel instead of salmon.
Also in Japan people love half-western Japanese breakfast too. It has a fried egg and sausage or something like that instead of grilled fish. My husband loves this style too.
I believe that big Japanese breakfast makes our bodies healthy. And enjoying breakfast is the key to start your wonderful day! xx
Last night we had a nice time with my husband’s co-workers. It was really lovely night. Before we left house, we had a quick dinner. Yes, this is quick dinner! haha
Did you try nikomi hamburg recipe already? I made past sauce by adding more tomato can into nikomi hamburg sauce left last night. Because I bought 400g tomato can. And only used half so 200g left. I added that 200g of tomato can and some basil into nikomi sauce.
(Interested in Nikomi Hamburg(er steak)?)
If you have cheese powder, it would be great topping. It was very easy & tasty dinner! Please try!xx
Hi, last night I made okonomiyaki(Japanese vegetable pancake). It was super tasty!
Kansai style okonomiyaki
There are two kinds of okonomiyaki in Japan. One is more like a pancake and called Kansai style. Another is called Hiroshima style, and i has layers of each ingredient.Because I was born in Hiroshima I prefer Hiroshima style, but I make Kansai style often too. Today I will show you how to make Kansai style okonomiaki because it is easier to master!
There are some ingredients you can hardly get inside the UK. So I arranged the recipe for English people.
OKONOMIYAKI (KANSAI STYLE)
[Ingredients] 2-3 people
- Cabbage 3 leaves
- Spring onion 2
- 5 tablespoons of flour
- Water 100ml
- Egg 1
- Pork as much as you want
- 1 tablespoon of grated ginger
- spaghetti some
[How to make it]
- Shred cabbage and spring onion.
- Finely chop pork.
- Break spaghetti into 2 pieces and overcook in Boiling water. Make sure spaghetti is soft.
- Make batter. Mix flour, water and an egg in a bowl.
- Add cabbage, spring onion, pork, grated ginger and spaghetti into the bowl.
- Pour a tablespoon of oil into a hot frying pan.
- Pour some of 4. and cook it about for 5 minutes until the surface becomes crispy.
- Turn over and cook more. make sure pork is enough cooked.
- Serve with sauce.
The recipe of sauce will be updated soon.